Ever find yourself stuck at work after business hours, wishing you could just cut out and get home to your family? We’ve all been there so we decided to round up 5 pointers to help you work smarter and increase productivity at the workplace so you can be home for dinnertime.
1) Make a to-do list. Everyday “housekeeping” tasks can often fall by the wayside, especially when working on larger projects. Creating a to-do list will help you keep track of what has and has not been done, and work as a reminder that even the menial busywork will eventually need your attention. Check it off before it builds up.
2) Organize. Office organization is key. Take a few minutes in the morning to prioritize your work and organize your day. Look at your to-do list and set aside enough time to get through the most important and time-sensitive tasks.
3) Focus. Quit surfing memes and funny YouTube videos to G-Chat or Facebook message your friends and concentrate on what you need to get done. As much as we all love a quick distraction here and there, you need realize that all that time adds up. Before you know it, it’s lunchtime and you haven’t done a thing! Throw on some tunes, buckle down, and do the work. You’ll be thanking yourself come 6 o’clock.
4) Break the big stuff into smaller, more manageable bites. Splitting larger projects into several smaller milestones will help you monitor your progress and make sure you are staying on track to complete the work in your desired timeframe. Looking at an intimidating amount of work in more digestible pieces will also keep you from feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.
5) Take a break! Don’t forget to take some time for yourself throughout the day. A short walk, a laugh with a coworker, or a quick snack can do wonders for sustaining concentration and mental alertness. The last thing you want to do is burn out, so be sure to periodically step away from what you are doing to decompress.
Need more helpful tips? Check out The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss for some top-notch info. Also, please let us know any tricks you may have up your sleeves in the comments below!